Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Taco Rabanne

Me likes the tacos. Let's just establish that upfront. Tacos + Me = BF 4 EVER.

And my hunt for the king of tacos has been snowballing of late. A rigorous, peer-reviewed process. Not complete, by any stretch. But performed with enthusiasm, and a good attitude.

So while the quest continues, I want to announce a new plateau, if not a peak. An apex?

El Huarache L
oco*, at the Alemany market. The unsexy market. Saturdays, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Order the Mexico City-style tacos, which are good enough that I'm hoping that a certain native son will get his butt out here to try them already. They serve another Mexico City signature, the namesake Huarache: fresh sandal-shaped masa tortillas topped with salsa verde, cheese, meat, nopal salad, and crema.

Now, I'm no fool**. I realize that having to go to a farmer's market on Saturdays to find thse tacos gives them a certain Chowhoundian appeal. There's nothing a Chowhounder likes better than some obscure dish that's available for just one hour each week, and across town, because that's when the sister of the owner drives in from Lodi and she's the only one who knows how to make it, idiot.

But these really are terrific.

Even better, El Hurache's owner, Veronica Salazar, got her start through La Cocina, a very inspiring SF non-profit that helps women start their own food businesses by providing affordable commercial kitchen space, business training, and moral support. I love the food coming out of La Cocina (I'll devote a post to it in coming days).


* I love that the name means "The crazy sandal."

** My imaginary factchecker demands a clarification: I am, not infrequently, a fool about many things, including daytime reality TV. I do, however, try to be smart about my food.






3 comments:

BullBunky said...

I had snooty tacos from Mijita in the Ferry Building. Really good...but I know what you mean about a GOOD taco!

Amy Traverso said...

I liked Mijita's tacos very much. But El Huarache's are sprinkled with fairy dust or something. They're just sooooo good.

Gil Martinez, RGD said...

I am dying to visit, and you'll have to take me here! It's been years since I had a decent taco.