Monday, September 18, 2006

Progress

Apple varieties in our house thanks to the Ferry Plaza farmers' market:
1) Pink Pearl (yay!)
2) Melrose
3) Rhode Island Greening
4) Granny Smith
5) Gravenstein
6) Connell Red
7) Cortland
8) Empire
9) Jonathan
10) Philo Gold
11) Arka
nsas Sweet?
12) Bramley Seedling
13) Ashmead's Kernel...
...and one or two others I can't remember at the moment. Scott made little sticker labels for each apple so we can keep track. I'm tasting and taking notes, trying to create a comprehensive apple comparison chart.

Meanw
hile, I did the first round of testing on an apple challah recipe. The loaves came out looking really beautiful, as seen here. But I took them out of the oven too soon. The insides were still soft, which made them collapse, and putting them back in the oven couldn't do anything at that point to restore the shape. But I like this general idea: you roll the bread up like a cinnamon bun, rather than braiding it. I'll try it again with a little less egg and oil, and cook it at a lower temperature. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.



3 comments:

McPolack said...

Mmmmmmm...apple challah sounds delicious...any way you can get your publisher can put up some cash to Fedex overnight to an East Coast taster?

Gil Martinez, RGD said...

I miss you and our long talks. When can I call you? Updated my blog, btw.

Anonymous said...

The recipe I am going to share with you today is about 350 years old! A great favourite from the Cape where the first brandy from Cape grapes were distilled in 1672! We have come a very long way since then when it comes to the quality of our brandy, but still, Cape Brandy Pudding remains an old time favourite :) Growing up in South Africa is great fun with all the recipes your mother makes and teaches you during your younger years!