Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Aloha

Long time, no blog. Turns out that "write about the book while also writing the book" plan was too meta for me. Instead, I'm going to go back to a more general approach. This is just a little online journal, after all.

So...now that it feels like winter, even in California, let's pay a visit to the islands, shall we? Scott and I spent the holidays in Hawaii, specificall
y Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. I now take you to Mama's Fish House in Pa'ia, Maui.


This is the view from the dining room. Someone recently told me, "The thing about Hawaii is that it delivers." It's true. It's everything I had hoped it would be, and how often does that happen?



This was my lunch, the Pua Me Hua Hana special: Mahimahi sautéed in coconut milk, Kalua pig, grilled banana, Molokai purple sweet potatoes, poi, tropical fruit (lilikoi, papaya, star fruit, mango, rambutan), and fresh coconut. All that, and I didn't have to sit through a bad luau. I even liked the poi, which should be familiar to anyone who grew up eating Cream of Wheat. Same pleasant, slightly bland, slightly creamy profile, but smoother.

No comments: